Wednesday, March 19, 2014

To Your Health


As a parent to young kids, it's ridiculously easy to completely forget about myself and sacrifice my needs for the needs of my children. This would explain why I've been wearing the same sweater for six years and am guilty of wearing flip-flops without a proper pedicure. While fashion (or lack of it) and chipped nail polish are things I won't lose sleep over (why would I even use this idiom when I don't sleep anyway?), I've been a little stressed lately over some things I have let slide.

Over the holidays, our youngest was about to turn 1. In her first year, I had taken her to half a dozen "well-baby" appointments, taken her sisters for their medical AND dental checkups and I'd hardly managed to visit my bed when I had a cold. I hadn't seen anyone in regards to my own wellness since the day my daughter was born. I made it my New Year's resolution to take better care of myself for my own sake and for the sake of my kids. I would start by making an appointment for a physical RIGHT AWA---the baby's crying I have to go nurse her where is my phone it has no battery do I even have a doctor what was I doing again?......

Ok--so it took me 3 months. It was "that thing" that got transferred from to-do list to to-do list and got out-prioritized by dance class, diaper changes and showering. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I locked myself in the bathroom and made the call. Next week, I am off to have my own "well-parent" appointment, plus I painted my toes while I was on hold so I can shamelessly wear sandals now.

Give yourself and your family the gift of your wellness this week. Take the time to make an appointment for a health or dental checkup. After my doctor's appointment next week, I am going to move on to getting to the dentist. At the rate I make appointments, I figure I'll go in August. Guess I won't have to bother upgrading my ratty sweater after all....

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts