Thursday, February 6, 2014

How Do I Love Me....Let Me Count the Ways


Valentine's Day is right around the corner. It's a wonderful day to celebrate love and those we love, but what about celebrating love we have for ourselves? I know the name of this blog is CHILD Unplugged, but for me (and I should really tune into my own reminder here) I find I connect most with my family when I have spent some time in connection with myself---filling up, taking time to remember who I am sans kids, husband, aspirations and obligations.

This week, after the kids are in bed, sit down in a quiet place, light a candle, grab some hot tea, find a paper and pen and write yourself a Valentine. Honor all you love about you. Go ahead and write from your heart, to yourself, just as you were going to write something wonderful about your child or loved one. It can be difficult and almost hokey to do something like this, but I bet you will feel better about yourself when you are finished.  I won't leave you to do the hard part on your own. Here are some prompts to get you started:

  • What I love about my heart is...
  • Something I am proud of is...
  • It wasn't easy, but I have been able to....
  • I forgive myself for.....
  • I am so grateful I am....
  • A way I am continuing to grow is....
  • I am....
When you are all finished, read it over, seal it in an envelope and tuck it away in a drawer or on a bookshelf. At some point, when you are desperately trying to find a matching pair of socks or searching for your copy of "How I Got My Baby to Do My Taxes and Sleep Through the Night", you will rediscover your Valentine and see how much you have grown.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts