Saturday, November 9, 2013

I Stopped Breathing


My husband co-founded a non-profit called Do As One. It basically uses technology to help people breathe at an optimum level and connect with each other worldwide. He spends a lot of time facilitating breathing workshops, coaching clients through challenges and attending wellness conferences. Confession time---I am not a big "breather".  I know it's good for me and I do my best to use the techniques he suggests, but my nature is to stubbornly bulldoze my way through adversity. So this week's activity was a little tricky for me, not so much because I didn't want to do it, I just found myself forgetting sometimes. Am I the only one who feels like a designated driver after a college party when I have to put my kids in the car? There is always someone sobbing, somebody with the munchies and somebody who wets their pants (or pukes). Fortunately, I remembered to take my deep breaths when I was on my mini-vacation walking around the car from one side to the other. That walk ended up being like a mini-Camino de Santiago for me this week. Which is why I am going to continue doing this little minivan meditation. It worked. I found myself so much calmer this week, and not just when I was in the car. I found myself taking deep breaths more often throughout the day. My kids were calmer too---it was really cool to hear them behind me taking 4 deep breaths. And SCORE!---it forces them to close their mouths and be quiet for just long enough to forget what they may have been incessantly
whining about moments before.

Do As One has stickers of their breathing orb that are meant to be a reminder to take a deep breath. I am putting a few in my car and am happy to send some to anyone who may be interested in having visual reminders. They also have an app that has, among other features, a notification setting. It can be set to play a chime each hour (or whichever hours you choose). I use it to remind me to take a deep breath each hour. I have found myself in the middle of a mental tirade, storming and stomping, and BONG, the little gong chimes and it helps me simmer down. 

Do As One app 


New activity post tomorrow! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts