Sunday, November 24, 2013

6 Steps to a More Connected Thanksgiving


Last weekend, my parents lost power for over a day after severe weather hit the Midwest.  Even though my Mom and Dad have a strong relationship, my mom commented that "it's hard to have a conversation when you have to". It made me realize how much of my own conversations are based on what I am currently looking at on my phone/ipad/laptop. Going into Thanksgiving, my husband and I have talked about using our electronics minimally and intentionally and asking our family members to do the same. We really want to show our kids that it is important to be present with each other. At first, I thought I was being old-fashioned in my ideal that we should put away things that often connect us as well as entertain us. But then I thought of my childhood and my Grandma hollering in the general direction of the living room to "TURN THE TV OFF" as she hauled food from the kitchen to the dining room. She probably wanted us lazy bums to get up and help her set the table, but I think she also was frustrated that we weren't doing much more than a bunch of strangers do at a movie theater.  This year, we will still watch football and listen to music. I will probably refer to a recipe or two online. But I find I use my Facebook feed to "check out" when I am bored or overwhelmed. My husband checks scores and texts as a way to pass the time. In a room full of adults, each armed with a phone or laptop, what should be a celebration filled with conversations and laughter can feel more like the morning bus commute. A really nice morning bus commute with pie and gravy.....but still.

I encourage you to set aside your devices for part of the day on Thursday and talk to each other, play some games, take a walk, ask to help with the dishes. To fill in some of the gaps, here is a party game to play that is fun for all ages, even eye-rolling teenagers:

Celebrity (also known as Celebrities or Lunchbox) is a party game where teams play against each other to guess as many celebrity names as possible before time runs out. Little kids can play along too with help from the adults. Smaller kids can choose characters from books or shows, any person they are familiar with that the other players are familiar with as well.

6 Easy Rules for Celebrity with Pictures

 Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts