Sunday, October 20, 2013

5 Things....


A while ago, I read an article about kids and affirmations. Of course, I have no recollection of where I read it or who wrote it, so you are just going to have to trust me (which might be hard for you science-types who like a solid source for your research). Anyway, it said that kids have an easy time expressing what they admire about others, but they have a really hard time expressing what they love about themselves. No real surprise there---most adults I know are only experts at nitpicking, comparing and judging themselves so this exercise should prove to be a good one for us all.

5 Things I Love About Me

  •  Ask yourself/your children/your significant other to take some time over a day to think about what they love about themselves. These can be things they can do, inner qualities, outer characteristics, etc. You may want to give younger kids some examples so they can reflect on a variety of things about themselves.
  • After everyone spends some time in reflection, have each person write a list of at least 5 things they love about him/herself.  Younger kids can dictate their list or draw it out in pictures.
  • Turn your love list into affirmations. An affirmation is a declaration or positive statement of truth, usually starting with the words "I am". So if you write "I love how smart I am", the affirmation would be "I am smart". Stating it in this language gives it more power and reinforces its positive intent.
  • Turn the list into affirmation art---use the list to create lyrics to a song, cut up magazines and newspapers and make collages (this is especially fun for kids who aren't writing yet), draw pictures to go with each affirmation and create a book.  Adults are not off the hook here: get in there with your kids and celebrate yourself.  It may inspire you and it will inspire your kids.

If you would like to expand this lesson on affirmations, I recommend the following books:




and



We will be back in about a week to report on our first activity. I would love to hear how it goes for you. Feel free to share your experience and even post your artwork. We will also have another activity waiting! Shine on!

1 comment:

  1. Love it Jessica. I love the grounding of the affirmations and really honoring them using a creative outlet. This makes it even more real and part of our worlds. I think I may do a collage with the family and frame it!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts